4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 head red cabbage (2 1/4 pounds), halved, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch ribbon slices
1/2 cup Raw Apple cider vinegar
1 cup Apple Cider
1/2-cup chicken stock or water
2 tablespoons honey
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1-teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Add onion, red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, vinegar, Cider, stock, honey, and 2 teaspoons sea salt; stir to combine.
- Raise heat to medium-high, cover, and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes.
- Stir apple into cabbage, and cook, covered, until cabbage and apples are tender, 10-15 minutes. Season with pepper.
Pin the recipe to your board for later: